The United States produced 41% of the fertilizer domestically used between July 2009 and June 2010 and imported the remaining 59%, according to data from USDA’s Economic Research Service. This country traditionally imports the most potash — nearly all of it from Canada — and requires the least foreign phosphates. U.S. manufacturers still supply the majority of the nitrogen used domestically.