What is in this article?:
- 20 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW NOW
- 6 Raising corn is more of a gamble than playing blackjack.
- 7 The Amazon rainforest is not being cut down for soybean production.
- 8 Nearly all Midwest farmers have access to high-accuracy guidance networks.
- 9 More GPS brownouts are ahead.
- 10 Corn borer populations are rapidly shrinking in the Midwest.
- 11 Integrated pest management (IPM) isn't dead but evolving.
- 12 Glyphosate is applied too late.
- 13 Adding autoswath control to a sprayer saves 5 to 17% in applied product.
- 14 Assisted steering systems are no-brainers for return on investment.
- 15 It takes less fossil energy to produce ethanol than it takes to produce gasoline.
- 16 Ethanol does not take food away from people in developing countries.
- 17 Ethanol is not a water hog.
- 18 Livestock farmers are losing control of their animals.
- 19 Beef packs more nutrients into one 3-oz. serving than chicken does.
- 20 Small farms are not necessarily the most environmentally friendly option.
Beef packs more nutrients into one 3-oz. serving than chicken does.
BEEF IS a compact package of nutrients that many dieters forget about in their zeal to consume chicken. But the fact is that a chicken breast contains only 1 less gram of saturated fat than a lean cut of beef. Plus, the beef has more zinc, iron and protein contained in a 3-oz. serving than the chicken. The government has identified 29 leans cuts of beef, all with less than 10 grams of total fat and 4.5 grams or less of saturated fat. — Karen McMahon